1. St. Bede's Anglo Indian Higher Secondary School is situated near the famous Marina Beach, adjacent to the International
shrine of St. Thomas, the Apostle, on the Santhome High Road, Chennai - 4.
2. This Prestigious and world renowned school was founded in the year 1907 and is recognized under the code of regulations of the Anglo Indian schools.
It is efficiently managed by the Salesian Fathers of Don Bosco. It is a minority school. It has a boarding house, meant only for the Catholic, Anglo Indian boys.
Dayscholar students of other religions are also admitted into this school.
3. The Aim of the School: It is mainly to develop the character and personality of every child, by imparting sound education based on Christian principles
and values adopting the unique 'Preventive System of Don Bosco' - a trade mark of all Salesian Institutions.
4. The School Motto - "DOCE NOS VIAM BONAM" means "TEACH US THE RIGHT WAY".Each boy who attends St.Bede’s is expected to learn the best way of performing his duties to
God - his creator, his family, his school, society, country and the environment and always do only what is right and good.
5. At present there are 56 well qualified, trained, dynamic, dedicated and hard working staff members both ladies and gents; including religious staff who
work untiringly for the all round development of the students.
There are 2267 students on the rolls - from the Primary Section to the Higher Secondary Section.
Primary Section : (STDs Lkg to 5) = 910
High School Section : (STDs 6 to 10) = 971
Higher Secondary Section : (STDs 11to 12) = 386
The subjects offered at the Higher Secondary Level are:
Group 1 - Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry & Computer Science
Group 2 - Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry & Biology.
Group 3 - Commerce, Accountancy, Economics & Computer Science
Group 4 - Commerce, Accountancy, Economics & Business Mathematics
6. The harmonious development of soul, mind and body is effected by suitable Religious, Moral, Intellectual, Social and Physical
Education involving a variety of Curricular and Co- Curricular Activities.
7. Facilities Offered: - The School caters to the all - round development of each child that enters its portals.
a. Religious Activities:Daily Catechism, Value Education Classes, Retreats for both Christian and non Christian students and for the staff are conducted regularly.
The Holy Eucharist is celebrated every First Friday and on important days. These services are animated by the students of each class with their teachers.
b. Animation Programmes:Regular Animation Programmes are conducted for students, parents, staff and non-teaching staff by eminent personalities.
c. Academics: All subjects including Computer Science and Singing are taught here. The students excel at the Public Examination levels.
d. Cultural Programmes: It includes Debates, Elocution, Dramatics, Fashion Shows, Fancy Dress, Dance, Music, Singing, Drawing, Painting and Quizzing.
The School has a wonderful choir and one of the best school brass bands in the city. Inter house and Inter school competitions are held regularly.
e. Sports: Athletics, various games like cricket, football, hockey, basket ball, volley ball and tennis are at the students' choice. The School has Cricket,
Foot Ball, and Tennis Coaching Classes. Gymnastics too is offered here. At the Inter school, zonal and national levels our students always return with laurels.
8. Various Clubs and Movements: Various Clubs and Movements like the Dramatics Club, Science Club, Blue Cross Club, Philately Club, Sports Club,
National Service Scheme, Junior Red Cross, Scouts, Road Safety Patrol, Holy Childhood, YCS\YSM, the Choral Society, School Band, the English & Tamil
Literary Associations, function very well in the school.
9. St. Bede's can boast of a spacious and airy auditorium overlooking the Bay of Bengal, a well equipped audio visual hall, two modern computer labs,
three science laboratories and a well equipped and furnished library, a chapel, a prayer room and a canteen. The shady trees, the lush green lawns and the
varied coloured flowers in the compound gives the students a conducive ambience to learn, grow and develop into beautiful people.
10. The House System: In order to foster a healthy rivalry and keen competition in all Curricular and Co-Curricular activities of the school,
the House System is followed. Every Pupil is a member of the four Houses into which the school is divided - Bosco, Savio, Rua and Thomas. Dramatics,
Dance, Music, Singing, Debates, Elocution, Fashion Show, Fancy Dress, Drawing, Painting and Quiz Competition are conducted regularly on the House
System basis to bring out the latent and hidden talents of the students. The Children's Day is celebrated as the Bedean Day in the school which is
filled with activities and competitions for the students.
11. The Family Spirit that prevails between the management, staff, parents, students both past and present and the supportive staff in the school
is highly commendable. It is the secret of our success.
12. St. Bede's is considered to be one of the best schools in India and in the state of Tamil Nadu and every student feels proud to be called a 'Bedean'
and very often the old students return to have a glimpse of their beloved Alma Mater,. and to catch up with all that is going on and the progress the school
is making by leaps and bounds in every field.