This school was founded on the 15th of July 1957 under the guidance of Rev. Fr. Tuena sdb. The Salesians launched the project of starting
a private school for boys in a two storeyed building which was dedicated to St. Dominic Savio, a fourteen year old young saint.
St. Dominic Savio was born at Hondonio, Northern Italy on April 2, 1842. His father was Charles Savio and his mother was Bridget Savio.
As a young lad his motto was "Death rather than sin".
Dominic Savio was one of the best pupils of St. John Bosco, under his able guidance he became a saint. He died on 9th March 1857 at the tender age of fifteen.
Dominic Savio Preparatory School had a humble beginning with just ten boys, seven of whom were in Std. I and three in Std. II.
Rev. Fr. C. Restelli SDB, the first principal of the school strived to increase the numbers and in the following year there were twenty
pupils in the K.G. class and gradually the numbers increased.
Rev. Fr. Mallen SDB further nurtured the growth of the school. In retrospect we recall that Don Bosco matriculation school had its beginning at the Dominic
Savio campus with standards V, VI & VII, as the present premises of Don Bosco was then under construction at Egmore. For a couple of years the two schools
functioned together until the construction was completed.
Rev. Fr. Cyril D'Souza SDB took charge as the next principal. He encouraged the students not only in studies but also in games, sports and dramatics.
He paid special attention to the physical, mental and moral development of the boys.
The next principal Rev. Fr. Monteiro SDB is also remembered for the care he took in the welfare and happiness of the staff and students.
He inculcated by precept and good example noble traits in the boys, for which he was loved and respected.
Under the able guidance of Rev. Fr. Forte SDB the school grew in strength and attained high standards. He introduced the house system, started a
library and formed the first group of cubs. He also showed keen interest in sports.
Rev. Fr. Monteiro SDB took charge as the principal once more. By now the great influx of applications for admission necessitated the construction for two
new classrooms for Std. IV and V.
Bro. Zachery SDB was then deputed as the principal, under his dynamic leadership and able guidance the school improved immensely.
He took great care to cater to the all round development of the boys. He encouraged them to attend athletic coaching regularly and helped students
to excel in sports. There were extra curricular activities like dramatics, singing, drawing, elocution, etc. in which competitions were held and
prizes and certificates awarded. Mrs. Ivy Ravel, the class teacher of Std. V, was appointed the headmistress of the school. Under her leadership
the school had grown in many spheres. She was a dynamic, soft spoken person who cared for the students and staff in many ways.
Rev. Fr. Louis SDB, was officiating as principal for two months after whom Rev. Fr. K.P. Paul SDB, took charge as principal. During his tenure the foundation
for an auditorium and new class rooms were laid. The P.T.A organized a star night program as a fund raising project for the construction of the new building.
Rev. Fr. Paul SDB inculcated discipline in the staff and students at the same time he was gentle and considerate.
The next eminent principal was Rev. Fr. V.V. Abraham SDB; through his dynamism and meticulous planning Dominic Savio grew to greater heights.
The construction of the new building was completed during his tenure, he emphasized on the mission of the school in a beautiful statement, which says
that Dominic Savio stands for "Loving Relationships, Integrity and Excellence".
As Mrs. Ivy Ravel the Headmistress was on extension after her retirement, Mrs. Lily Xavier was deputed as the Assistant Headmistress for a period
of 1 year and the following year she took charge as the Headmistress.
Rev. Fr. John Peter SDB, the next principal was a disciplinarian. He encouraged students to take part in sports. Athletic coaching was held at
St. Bede's grounds. Gymnastic classes, table tennis coaching and summer camps were organized for students in the school. Computer science as a subject
was introduced and a well equipped lab was provided and all the students from class I to V benefited from this.
Rev. Fr. Joe Andrew SDB, the present principal is a person who is student friendly. His association with them is seen during the assembly,
when he interacts with students personally and encourages them to respond, both individually and confidently. The school celebrated the 50th year of the
canonization of Dominic Savio as a saint. In connection with this, inter-school competitions among Catholic Schools in the neighbourhood and a few Salesian
schools were organized.
The school is now on its way of being recognized by the Govt. of Tamil Nadu as a matriculation school. The school is celebrating its Golden
Jubilee during the period 2006 - 2007. Special programs were organized during this year. The Parent's Day program "The Smiling Saint" a musical
dance drama was an excellent display staged under the able guidance of Rev. Fr. Joe Andrew. In June 2007 one section of std. VI was introduced and
also another section of std. V.
The up-gradation and the renovation of the school building are on the cards. As part of the Golden Jubilee celebration, a few fund raising programs
were planned by the Parent Teacher Association. It conducted a Raffle and a Mega Fancy Fete in February 2007. Many more projects are yet to be implemented.
The students who have passed through this great institution up to class V and completed their school education at St. Bede's have excelled in many fields
serving the society and the nation at large.